Venue: The Forum, Moat Lane, Towcester, NN12 6AD
Contact: Richard Woods, Democratic Services
Declarations of Interest
Members are asked to declare any interest and the nature of that interest which they may have in any of the items under consideration at this meeting.
24. Land Adjacent to Tesco, Old Tiffield Road, Towcester
Councillor Maggie Clubley, Non-Statutory Interest, as a Member of Towcester Town Council which had been consulted on the application.
Councillor Lisa Samiotis, Non-Statutory Interest, as a Member of Towcester Town Council which had been consulted on the application.
To confirm the Minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 5 October 2021.
The minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 5 October 2021 were agreed as a correct record and signed by the Chair.
To receive communications from the Chair.
The Chair made the following announcements:
1. Members of the public were permitted to film, broadcast and report on the meeting, subject to the efficient running of the meeting not being affected.
2. Only those people who had registered, in line with the Committee’s speaking procedure, could address the Committee. Members of the public were requested not to call out during the Committee’s discussions on any item.
3. There were no planned fire drills so if the alarm did sound, evacuation instructions would be given by officers.
4. That mobile phones should please be switched off.
5. The Chair also reminded Members that, should they be unable to attend a meeting of the Committee, it is the responsibility of individual Members to arrange a substitute via their respective political groups.
Approved, subject to various requirements to be set out in the Minutes.
The Committee considered application WNS/2021/0481/MAR relating to a reserved matters application for details of scale, appearance and landscaping for a retail and restaurant development comprising of Class A1 retail units and three A3/A5 food and drink uses including ‘drive thru’ and associated access and parking pursuant to outline permission S/2016/2850/MAO on land adjacent to Tesco, Old Tiffield Road, Towcester for Tesco Stores Ltd.
There were no public speakers on this item.
In reaching its decision, the Committee considered the officer’s report and presentation, and the written updates.
(1) That authority be delegated to the Assistant Director – Growth, Climate and Regeneration to grant permission for application WNS/2021/0481/MAR subject to the following conditions:
TIME LIMITS AND GENERAL IMPLEMENTATION CONDITIONS
1. The development shall not be carried out otherwise than in complete accordance with the approved plans unless a non-material amendment is approved by the Local Planning Authority under the Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (England) Order 2015.
Site location plan P01
Proposed site plan P03
Planting plan (1) 7497.PP.1.0
Planting plan (2) 7497.PP.1.1
Existing and proposed site sections (1) P06
Existing and proposed site sections (2) P06
Proposed plans terraced retail unit P04
Proposed elevations terraced retail units 1 to 5 P07
Proposed plans units 6,7 and 8 P15
Proposed elevations fast food unit 6 P08
Proposed elevations kiosk units 7 and 8 P09
Proposed roof plan P05
Proposed street scene elevations (1) P10
Proposed street scene elevations (2) P10
Proposed external views P11
Proposed aerial views P12
Proposed visual P16
Tree protection plan 10953 TPP 01
Tree constraints plan 10953 TCP 01
Tree schedule dated April 2021
EV chargers plan P17
Boundary plan P14 Rev B
Reason : To clarify the permission and for the avoidance of doubt.
CONDITIONS REQUIRING LOCAL PLANNING AUTHORITY WRITTEN APPROVAL OR TO BE COMPLIED WITH BY DEVELOPER BEFORE SPECIFIC CONSTRUCTION WORKS TAKE PLACE
2. Details of a CCTV system to monitor the car and motor cycle parking and cycle store shall be submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority and implemented prior to the first occupation of the building hereby permitted.
Reason : In the interest of planning out crime in accordance with Policy SS2 of the South Northamptonshire Part 2 Local Plan.
CONDITIONS TO BE COMPLIED WITH AT ALL TIMES
3. All planting, seeding or turfing comprised in the approved details of landscaping shall be carried out in the first planting and seeding seasons following the occupation of the building(s) and shall be maintained for a period of 5 years from the completion of the development. Any trees and/or shrubs which within a period of five years from the completion of the development die, are removed or become seriously damaged or diseased shall be replaced in the next planting season with others of similar size and species, unless the Local Planning Authority gives written consent for any variation.
Reason : To ensure that the agreed landscaping scheme is maintained over a reasonable period that will permit ... view the full minutes text for item 24.
Refused, reasons to be set out in the minutes.
The Committee considered application WNS/2021/0546/FUL for a detached dormer bungalow (part retrospective) at Land Rear of Denbrook, Weedon Road, Nether Heyford for Mr R Smith.
Dave Collins, agent for the applicant, addressed the Committee in support of the application.
Charles Kiloh, on behalf of Nether Heyford Parish Council, addressed the Committee in objection to the application.
Nick Essex, representing a group of local residents and speaking on their behalf, addressed the Committee in objection to the application.
Councillor Karen Cooper, Local Ward Member for Bugbrooke, addressed the Committee and provided a summary of arguments both in favour of and in objection to the application.
In reaching its decision, the Committee considered the officer’s report and presentation, the addresses of the public speakers, and the written update.
(1) That application WNS/2021/0546/FUL be refused contrary to the Officer’s recommendations for the following reasons:
1. The proposed development fails to comply with the Council's adopted policies in respect of ensuring the development respects the existing form and character of its surroundings. The alterations made to the dwelling and those proposed to the site, specifically the insertion of dormer windows within the principal elevation roof space, thus resulting in a dwelling with a one-and-a-half storey facade, the use of obscure glazing within one of the dormer windows, and the use of a close boarded timber fence along the boundary of 20 Furnace Lane, causing harm to the character and appearance of the street scene. The proposal therefore fails to accord with Policies SS2 and LH1 of the South Northamptonshire Local Plan Part 2, Policy H1 and R1 of the West Northamptonshire Joint Core Strategy and Section 12 of the NPPF (specifically Paragraph 130).
2. The proposal fails to comply with the Council's adopted policies as well as design guidance in respect of safeguarding the amenity of existing and future residences. In this instance, given the difference in land levels, the changes made to the property, specifically the increase in ridge height and addition of dormer windows to the principal elevation; result in an imposing dwelling that increases the perception of overlooking from the gardens of surrounding properties. This increase in bulk caused by the increased ridge height, combined with the perception of overlooking, results in harm that consequently fails to comply with Policy SS2 of the South Northamptonshire Local Plan Part 2, Policy H1 of the West Northamptonshire Joint Core Strategy, the South Northamptonshire Design Guide (Chapter 4.7), and Section 12 of the NPPF (Paragraph 130).
The Chairman to advise whether they have agreed to any items of urgent business being admitted to the agenda.
The Committee requested that Officers bring forward a report detailing the latest position on planning appeals within the South Northamptonshire area to the 9 December 2021 meeting of the Committee.
(1) That Officers be requested to bring a report to the 9 December 2021 meeting of the Committee detailing the latest position on planning appeals within the South Northamptonshire area, including where new appeals had been lodged, public enquiries/hearings scheduled, or appeal results achieved.