Agenda and draft minutes

LGBTQ People and Allies Forum - Tuesday 15th June 2021 7.00 pm

Venue: MS Teams

No. Item


Welcome, Introductions and Apologies



Minutes and Matters arising pdf icon PDF 662 KB


Independent Advisory Groups – For the time being the forums are fulfilling majority of functions of the Police IAG although there are plans to reform IAGs across Northampton in future.


Northamptonshire Police

Review around domestic abuse ongoing – extended offer of forum to feed into review. Women’s forum have also offered. New force priorities announced: Domestic Abuse, Knife-crime, ASB and Serious Organised Crime. Will see a lift in ASB work from Neighbourhood Police Teams in partnership with other agencies ie. WNC.
Please share any additional support services locally or nationally for signposting victims to, particularly regarding hate crime.

Significant knife crime incident occurred in Corby recently – developing work on East using cadets to deliver knife awareness sessions with police support, targeted to primary schools as a trial. Engagement relating to knife crime has historically been delivered to secondary schools but evidence suggests this needs to be approached earlier. If successful could be offered to wider schools from September.
Steve Bedford left the meeting.



Community Mental Health

Adam Smith (NHFT)


Adam Smith, Assistant Director and Crisis Pathway manager at NHFT: Teams are working hard to coordinate effective countywide mental health care countywide. However, this does not always meet the needs of the wider community and they are trying to engage with community groups to gauge experiences of mental health services from forum members, and/or members of their organisations.


Most people described GP or hospital as the place they would go for support. This is historically correct but there have been some changes:

MENTAL HEALTH HOTLINE: 0800 448 0828 (free phone number) or for issues at any level. The service is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and provides conversational service, practical support over the phone and can access additional support for the caller.


The service has taken over 70,000 calls in its first year.


There are also several crisis cafes across the county – in Northampton, Anchor House with Northampton Mind. Additionally, two crisis houses providing respite in the county referred through these options. The service is also working with a wide range of partners across the voluntary sector, police, courts and A&E where people may need access to crisis support. NHFT  recognise that this doesn’t always meet the needs of certain groups, in particular minority groups. If you know any places that could offer a space for crisis café the team can work with them and train staff.


Carly Galpin – Perinatal Mental Health Service Manager:

This service has been established over the past 3 years for those who experience or are at risk of worsened mental health during pregnancy or after birth. Extended for those experiencing neo-natal loss. The impact of covid means that many new parents have been unable to make links with other families and this has impacted mental health and the team are seeing an increase in referrals.

The service has worked with same-sex partners but no-one from trans community at this time and want to promote their service to this community to ensure it is accessible to all who need it. The service trys to provide an individual approach and use language related to that person but comms to wider audiences is a different matter. Lots of conversations are taking place around language and inclusivity and how this can be improved. The team would welcome comments and guidance to ensure their messages are continually inclusive.


Please contact Adam or Carly with any feedback:


Intersectionality and Diversity discussion


Alex – new local infrastructure organisation has recently set up (Northamptonshire Black Communities Together) as possible lead in to collaborative partnership working for organisations. Offered to provide introductions for anyone wanting to start conversations.


NREC are working collaboratively with Qstory on the messages of Hope project particularly around trans hate crime.


Action: If anyone wants to suggest any other groups we could start inviting/including please send contacts to Aimee.


Action: Invite someone from NBCT to attend the forum in future. Matt; we have had very low participation from Black and Asian community historically.


Storm – neuro divergences often very connected to LGBTQ. Suggested reaching out to groups providing support services. Storm will speak to disability officer at UON.


Rob – LGBTQ focus week from 21 June on NLive – anyone who wants to share messages please contact the station on



Pride 2021


Pride 2021 has been booked for Sunday 12 September, timings tbc. This date avoids clashes with other semi-local and well-established Prides. Similar format to Pride 2019 but looking to include a ‘walking-parade’; separate working group set up to take this forward and put plans in place.

Action: Any groups that would want to have a stall at the event or suggest a stall please contact Aimee.


Would be great to offer some drop-in sessions/workshops/activity prior to the event. Action: Any groups able to offer an activity in the lead up to Pride, or with suggestions please contact Aimee ASAP.


Carley asked to be included with NHFT stand.



Community Information Exchange


Alex  advised grants currently available with Northampton Community Foundation:
The Constance Travis Endowment Fund – for applications supporting United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (poverty, hunger, gender equality, health and wellbeing) up to £3k.
Compton Fund – arts, culture and heritage £5k
Queens institute – up to £5k for health and wellbeing projects.
For more information contact



We have been asked to share a link to a questionnaire for student research if anyone would like to take part – Action: Aimee to share with minutes.


Items for Future Meetings


Requests from Fire Service and Northamptonshire Carers to attend next meeting – agreed.


Ben – can we revisit action plan. Aimee to add.


Next Meeting 10 August – social – option to have a social as restrictions will* be lifted or a formal meeting. Could have a mix of both if wanted. Let Aimee know your preference and we will go with majority decision.



Date of Next Meeting

Tuesday 10 August – social tbc


Tuesday 10 August, 7pm – location tbc